Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Week 1: BASEBALL

Hi Everyone...

In class yesterday, we discussed the fact that sports are an important part of popular American culture. Sports franchises (teams and organizations) make a lot of money selling tickets and merchandise to sports fans. However, as we discussed, they also pay their players very well -- the average salary for a professional baseball player in 2009 was $3.6 million!

Due to our technical problem yesterday, I was unable to share some videos and information with you. Before going on your field trip to Turner Field tomorrow, please read and watch the following items.

The Simple Rules of Baseball: This website gives a very clear description of how the game is played.

A bit of baseball history...

Women and Baseball
Did you know that during World War II, so many young men were enlisting in the armed services that the summer baseball season almost  ended? In order to keep baseball fans filling the stadiums, the "All-American Girls Professional Baseball League' was founded. This was the first time women were considered to be 'professional' sports players. The league was so popular that it continued until the mid-1950s. Click here to read more about the league. Click here to read about the 'rules' the women were required to follow (this is fun to read about!).

The Negro Baseball League
Founded in Texas during 1887, the Negro Baseball League allowed 'men of color' to participate in professional baseball. Although Texas and several other western states had integrated baseball teams (allowing both 'white' and 'black' players), most other teams throughout the United States were segregated. Along the east coast of the United States, black players were not allowed to participate in professional baseball -- until the Negro Baseball League was widely adopted in the 1920s. Click here to read more about the Negro Baseball League and their contributions to modern baseball.

Videos
Baseball is widely shown on television. Here is an example of how baseball is shown on TV. Pay particular attention to the announcer and what they say. Make note of any phrases that you do not understand and we will discuss them in class next week. This video shows a player beating the home run record, for the most home runs hit in a single month.


Now that you've looked at the rules and read a bit of the history, here is a funny look at baseball -- a 1945 cartoon from Walt Disney.



When you go to Turner Field tomorrow, I want you to think about the following questions --

  1. Consider the size of the stadium. Why is it so big? Does it say anything about the value Americans place upon baseball? What about the value of baseball in Atlanta?
  2. Consider the advertisements around the field. Are there any? What types of products do they advertise? Why do you think the advertisers chose to promote those products at a sports field?
  3. Are there any similar sports complexes/stadiums in your home country? What sport is played there? Are advertisements posted at your sports complex? For what kinds of products?
As part of your 'homework' and class grade, each student needs to comment on this blog. Tell me a bit about what you thought of the field trip, the videos, or give your answers to my questions. Choose something about the topic of 'baseball' or your field trip and tell me about that.

Have fun! 

7 comments:

  1. hi,Danny!
    It was really a happy trip. This is the first time for me to see a baseball field. The field is bigger than I thought.We saw the advertisements of Coco-cola. And there were some players training there. The sound of the bat kicking at the ball sounds wonderful.I love this trip so much. Hope you were there with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,Danny.
    This trip is very interesting.I have never seen baseball before.The field is pretty large.There are so many seats, maybe it's because American people really love baseball.The most advertisement I have seen is Coco-cola.Maybe Coca-cola give some support to it.We also saw somebody were practicing there, one of them even give us a baseball, but it caught by a student from another class.In one word, the trip is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Danielle
    I'm Sean
    On Thursday we went to Turner Field and that was a fantastic experience for me. The tour guide was really nice he showed us lots of part of the stadium and explained comprehensively. We were informed that Turner Field was originally built as Centennial Olympic Stadium. In addition, the boradcasting facilies seems to be delicate that one technician got upset when one of us accidently touch the camera and we were sorry about that. Oh another point I wanna add, the Marta sounds convenient, but we still waited for quite a long time for the bus to come. Well, the good part of Marta, no matter how you transfer, or how many times you transfer, it only counts 1 trip and it only costs $2. Um, generally speaking, the field trip was really really impressive, I've never watched a baseball game or any game right in the stadium and I will go watching the Brave vs MIL on Sunday. Looking forward to getting back there. Maybe I can bring more of my thought about the trip on Tuesday. See you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besides, the goofy cartoon is really amusing! Although I hardly understand the voice-over, it still illustrates the funny part of American culture, which is rare back in my country's culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Danielle,
    I was astonished at the grand outlook of Turner Field on my first sight. The cheerful decorations, such as the upstanding cow and firework shooter, show how crazy people are about the game. I just watched the game between the Braves and the Brewers. The Braves won easily. During the game, there were all kinds of music playing, which bring some fun to the dull part of the game. During the innings, advertisements were shown on the big screen. So many big companies take oppotunity to show their new sale, because there were so many audience gathering, which was rare in the US.
    I didn't finish the whole game, because I have another show to catch on. I went to see the Phantom of the Opera at FOX theatre. That was a great piece I enjoyed so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Danielle,
    It was a wonderful trip to Turner Field.It was amazing to see the grand stadium, and it was so great to have the tour guide descibe the whole stadium. We also pay a visit to the museum and have some knowledge about the Braves.
    Yesterday I went to Turner Field again and watched the game between the Braves and Brewers. I was so excited and I really enjoy the atmosphere there. I'd like to share some terrified moments with you.I still remember the Braves' home running, which earned them four scores at a time.everyone is cheering and the stadium is boiled over. But what impressed me most is the atmosohere there. I like the cheering music, I appreciate the logo, and I enjoy the scene that everyone is doing the same gesture to celebrate the Braves' success. The Braves'great performence really made every audience excited. Finally they beat their opponents easily.
    Though it was my first time to watch a baseball game, I was fascinated by the atmosphere and the Braves' great peformance in Turner Field. What's more I come to like and enjoy this game- the baseball game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I am jackson(Shixiang Zhang).I went to Turner. The grass, braves, audience had surprise me. Move importantly, Ted Turner attracts me impressively! By the way, I wish braves will go further in the future.

    ReplyDelete